Personal & Professional Volunteering
I feel strongly that we all have a responsibility to give back to the community that empowered us with knowledge & opportunities. It is highly rewarding to contribute my unique skills across different domains of my personal, community & professional life.
I have worked extensively with elementary and middle-school teachers to encourage teaching of science principles & knowledge. I have been extensively involved in community associations, events and projects.
I am an avid skier, serving for years as a Ski Patroller at local hills, and for Olympic & World Cup events. I enjoy teaching and coaching new recruits in the classroom and on the hill. I have received different awards and acknowledgments for my contributions including:
• City of Ottawa Charlotte Whitton Award for Community Volunteerism (1999)
• Ottawa South Community Association (OSCA) Outstanding Lifetime Volunteer Award (2016)
• Camp Fortune Ski Patrol Service Appreciation Award (2019)
Canadian Ski Patrol
Beyond my service providing care for injuried skiers in both downhill & cross country skiing, have been involved in multiple projects to enhance the training of new recruits and the CSP Organization. Contributions include:
• Race Medical, Womans Course - Vancover 2010 Olympics
• Race Medical, Womans Course - Lake Louise Winterstart World Cup (2010 > 2015)
• Race Medical, Red Bull Crashed Ice
• Race Medical, for multiple local development races
• CSP Come Joint Us ... New Patroller recrutement program
• Patroller Development Program
• Fortune Ski Patroller Manual
• Fortune Challenging Extraction Program
• Teaching First Aid skills to new patrol recruits
• Teaching On-hill Rescue & toboggan skills to new patrol recruits
I have found many ways to give back in my own local community including:
• Working with Seniors Watch of Old Ottawa South (SWOOS) on winter walkability software (WinterWalk)
• Working with SWOOS to promote Seniors suitable housing
• Manage annual cleaning of local parks (20+ yrs)
• Organizing community responses to zoning and development issues
• Website design and development for Ottawa South Community Association (OSCA)
• Author of "Your Essential Guide to Old Ottawa South" (1999)
• Member of OSCA Board (3 yr)
• Draft Web Based Board Member Handbook (1999)
• Organizing & hosting street parties
• Developmental league soccer coach
• Process and graphic design for Cycle Watch Toronto
Teaching & Inspiration
I particularly enjoy sharing technical concepts and life experiences with an audience whether it be a limited workshop or an entire auditorium. I have taught professional workshops, and in school envionments ranging from Grade 6 to University & professional conferences. Teaching events have included:
• Ergonomics multi-day workshops
• Ergonomics lunch + learn sessions
• Mentoring Industrial Design Student Projects
• Professional conference presentations
• Stay in School presentations
• Science Process & Materials presentations at both Primary & High School levels
• Acting as a High School Science Fair Judge
We are all part of the same team and I want to give back to the profession & peers who keep my life interesting. Professional projects have included:
• Development of OAAK Conference Manual.
• Multiple conference brochures for related professional associations.
• Multiple conference graphical materials for related professional conferences.
• Professional association booth duty.
School & University Contributions
Since my early days at University, I have been involved in multiple roles to give back & to learn new things. While at school I was involved with:
• Student health counselling at both MacMaster and University of Waterloo.
• Served on Board as Co-operative Residence Management Chair at Waterloo Co-op Residence.
• Founded & managed High School Camera Club Created school darkroom. Taught photography. workshops